woensdag 31 maart 2010

Slow progress

I made this little heart the way I descibed in the post before this one. I used a rubber mat to make the heart extra hollow. I made the edges flat again by using the embossing pen on the other side of the heart. I made two hearts and glued them together with the knot of the thread on the inside. It now hangs on the shelf.

The shelf hangs by the use of magnetic tape and a metal sheet. The magnetic tape is not very strong. It's designed for the use on paper, so one can put up photo's or children's drawings on the fridge or on a wall which has been painted with iron-paint. My husband is getting me stronger, industrial magnetic tape, but this will do for now.
I also put up the embroidery the same way. I'm not totally happy with the way it's framed. I wanted to use a passe-partout, but I didn't get it straight.

Yes, the door hangs too, including cat-flip. Blacky still figures out if he will like this or not... My real cat only uses it when he's not able to convince one of us to open the door for him, he has such a hard life! ;)

I had much trouble getting the hinges of the door right. This is the third type of hinge I tried, and it finally worked.
I used coloured plastic in the window of the door. I want to put a light behind the door, like if the lights are on in the non-existing house. The colours are not very visible on the picture, but are two types of blue.

This is all for now. It goes much slower than I would wish to, but my life is not a Harry Potter movie, so I can only use my time once, and not much on dollshouses lately.

Happy Easter!

woensdag 10 maart 2010


What's the English word for a small candle in an aluminium cup? In Dutch we call it waxine-light or tea-light (as it can be used to keep the tea warm). I had used a bit of the aluminium to cover my ugly and uneven glue-job on the cat-flip on the door of the conservatory, and was waiting for the glue to dry. While waiting, I played a bit with the tools and materials on the table. And this came out:
All I used were a aluminium cup, an embossing pen and a few punches:

The aluminium gets a bit of a silvery look by the embossing pen. Not sure what to do next with it, but I think it looks decorative.

This is the finished cupboard, by the way. I thought I would glue it on the wall, but now I know how difficult to put something in it (and I want to be able to change that according to my liking or the season), I think it would be better if I could still get it off the wall if I want to. Anyway, this week I have great difficulty to get things straight (for example see the hooks...), so I leave that for now. I did finish the embroidery, now it needs to get framed.

Next time more progress on the door.

Bye for now,


Five new followers to welcome! But only four new pictures and no new 'no picture' on the my followers-list? I went though the other pictures of my list, and I think the 'missing' picture must be Ana Morgado. The other four are Merry Jingle, Cia, Janne and Miniaturista.

A warm welcome to you all!


woensdag 3 maart 2010

Update conservatory

As promised: an update on my conservatory. This is how it looks now:
I cannot work on one thing alone: my mind is already busy with the next thing, and I can't help starting on that too. So I did a few other things, while busy on the door and not having finished my embroidery yet. 
The bricks outside were high gloss red, very ugly, so I painted them in a blended mat grey. I redid the joints, and afterwards painted them with watercolour, as they were too white. Then I added some moss. Still need to add some moss to the rest of the conservatory as well, looks great. This is the result:
I had bought some ornaments for the windows at Bindels Ornaments. They sell all kinds of metal ornamental pieces for the use in dollshouses. Of course the ornaments were 'golden', so they needed to be painted white and then made old, rusty and dirty.

I think the result is more beautiful then shows on the pictures!
Then of course, I still busy with the door to the none-existing house. It takes lots and lots of layers of white paint to cover the dark grey beneath! I also made a small cupboard, which I gave the same dark grey treatment, before painting it white, again and again and again...

Now it needs to dry thoroughly before I can work on making the old look.

It looks here like spring is finally coming, but they say it's going to snow again this weekend... I'll see if it will be dollshouse or garden this weekend!

Bye for now,